New research found that exercising for at least one hour a day may counteract the risk of dying that comes from sitting all day, according to a Today.com report.
You probably know that sitting for long periods of time can cause health issues ranging from obesity to high blood pressure to abnormal cholesterol. You may have even heard that it can cause an increase in the risk of death. But the new study found that the risk of death can be countered with at least an hour of daily moderate exercise, provided that you’ve been sitting for 10 hours or less daily. If you find yourself sitting more than 10 hours daily, the risks seem to increase with every additional hour.
What counts as moderate exercise? Brisk walking or cycling will do. Plus, many doctors recommend finding ways to sneak some extra activity into your day. Some ideas include:
- Park at the back of the parking lot
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Use a bathroom on a different floor
- Go fill up your *water bottle
- Walk down the hall to talk to a colleague instead of sending an email or calling
- Have walking meetings
- Get outside for a walk during your lunch break
- Set up your workspace as a *standing desk
- Sit on a *yoga ball instead of a traditional office chair for part of the day
- Take a break and stretch for five minutes
- Get a *Fitbit, pedometer or even an app for your phone that tracks your daily steps
Someone I’m close to recently told me that he and a colleague are using their lunch breaks to take a long walk and catch Pokemon around their workplace with the new Pokemon Go app. That seems like a great way to make the extra exercise fun!
This new research is just one more piece of evidence showing how critical it is to get enough exercise every day. If you’re a celiac, here are five more reasons you should be getting regular exercise!
Do you have a job that requires you to sit at a desk all day? Do you find yourself sitting for hours at night? Does this kind of research scare you? Tell me in the comments!
*Products featured in this article are linked via the Amazon Associates program. I receive a small percentage of purchase totals when things are bought via these links, which helps offset web hosting fees. It costs you nothing! If you’re going to buy these or other items via Amazon, please consider using one of my product links to make your purchase. Thank you!